Summary of sites affected across Egypt – either confirmed or strongly suspected. Data pooled from Egyptopaedia and others.
Alexandria Area (All confirmed by ZH/SCA 5th Feb):
- Anfushi Necropolis – SAFE
- Alexandria National Museum – Rumour of fire incorrect. SAFE
- Bibliotheca Alexandrina – SAFE
- Buto (Desouk) – Attempted break-in to magazine unsuccessful. Two thieves caught.
- Chatby Necropolis – SAFE
- Greco-Roman Museum – SAFE
- Kom el-Dikka (Amphitheatre) – SAFE
- Kom El-Shuqafa – SAFE
- Marine Museum – SAFE
- Mosaic Museum – SAFE
- Pompey’s Pillar – SAFE
- Qantara Museum (Nr. Ismailia) – Magazine looted. 288 objects recovered (4th Feb.), and 5 more (8th Feb.)
- Sa el-Hagar – SAFE
- Tell Basta – Attempted looting. Military arrested thieves. Reported 18th Feb by ZH.
- Tell el Dab’a – SAFE
- See earlier report on Cairo Museum thefts.
- See the Eloquent Peasant for a continuously updated record of artefacts confirmed lost/found/damaged. Photographic record of items is being compiled. LINK
- Cairo University magazine entered. No further details available at present. (ZH 17th Feb) LINK
- Tomb of Hetep-Ka at Saqqara entered. False door looted. (ZH 17th Feb) LINK
- Saqqara magazine (Nr. Teti pyramid) entered. No further details at present. Other magazines at Saqqara affected(?) (ZH 17th Feb) LINK
- Tomb of Rahotep at Abusir entered. Fragment of false door looted. (ZH 17th Feb) LINK
- Dashur (DeMorgan magazine, German mission) – Looted. Date of looting uncertain, perhaps multiple times. Eight amulets confirmed missing. (14th Feb. Al Ahram – LINK)
- Tomb of Maya – SAFE (9th Feb ZH)
- Giza – SAFE (various sources)
- Conflicting information. Blue Shield inspection (Austrian mission) reports nothing stolen, but could not locate magazine facility. Dr. Wafaa el Saddik reports magazine has been looted. ICOM suggests looting may have actually been vandalism, and lost in translation.
- Lahun – Signs of illicit digging. (Lahun Survey Project, 3rd Feb) LINK
- Karanis – Magazine attempted break-in unsuccessful. Now safe. (Lahun Survey Project, 3rd Feb) LINK
- Lisht – Unsuccessful attempt to rob tomb. (ZH 17th Feb) LINK
- Abydos – Unconfirmed report of widespread illicit digging and looting of storerooms amidst lack of security presence. (Egyptian Dreams, 13th Feb) – LINK. However ZH (2nd Feb) reported as safe.
- Akhmin – SAFE (ZH, 2nd Feb) LINK
- Beni Hasan – SAFE (ZH, 2nd Feb) LINK
- Dendera – SAFE (ZH, 2nd Feb) LINK
- El Hibeh – Looted. Now secure. (ICOM) – LINK
- Karnak – Attempted entry by looters on 28th Jan. Repulsed by locals. (Egyptopaedia, 4th Feb) – LINK
- Luxor Temple – SAFE (Chicago House, 8th Feb) LINK
- West Bank Sites – SAFE (Chicago House, 8th Feb) LINK
- Kom Ombo – SAFE (ZH, 2nd Feb)
- Edfu – SAFE (ZH, 2nd Feb) LINK
- Philae – SAFE (ZH, 2nd Feb) LINK
- Elephantine – SAFE (ZH, 2nd Feb) LINK
- Nubian Museum – SAFE (ZH, 2nd Feb) LINK
- Kalabsha – SAFE (ZH, 2nd Feb) LINK
- Aswan Nobles Tombs – SAFE (ZH, 2nd Feb) LINK
- Kharga Museum – Unconfirmed report of looting. (Louay Mahmoud Saied, 9th Feb)
- Berenice – SAFE (Egyptology Blog, 3rd Feb) LINK